Who was in the Cape Verde Islands and did not just eat continental food at the hotel?
You certainly tasted excellent local food – Cachupa!
Here’s the recipe for Cachupa!
- 500 g of chopped carrots
- 2 kg of sliced potatoes
- 1 kg of sliced bananas
- 500 g of chopped cabbage
- 200 g of chopped ripe tomato
- 200 g chopped smoked sausages
- 600 g chopped smoked pork legs
- 300 g of chopped chicken breast
- 350 g of red beans
- 100 g of beans
- 500 g of corn
- 2 large onions
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 150 dl of olive oil
- 150 dl of white wine
- Salt to taste
1. Cake and beans soak in cold water the day before cooking.
2. Add the onion, garlic and olive oil to the pan and add the corn and the beans.
3. When the beans with corn are soft, add cabbage, bananas and carrots and plenty of water, cook all together in a large pot.
4. On the olive oil, fry the tomatoes with a little onion and finally add all the meat.
5. Season and cook about 30 minutes until all tastes are combined.